Natural sea buckthorn oil, with its surprisingly huge variety of plant-nutrients, is fantastic for encouraging cellular repair and regeneration. Uniquely rich in omega acids, sea buckthorn oil also soothes inflammation, one of the major causes of skin aging and skin ailments.
What is Sea Buckthorn Oil?
Sea buckthorn oil comes from the oil of the sea buckthorn fruit and from the sea buckthorn seed.
Sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) is found in countries with extremely cold climates. In these often harsh conditions, the small shrub grows infrequently, at high elevations. Sea buckthorn has been prized for thousands of years in areas of Tibet, China and Pakistan, for its valuable health benefits.
Historical records show that even as early as the 12 century, inhabitants of these areas used sea buckthorn for its ability to protect against the harsh elements.
So, it’s no wonder that sea buckthorn is treated almost like a national treasure in Leh, Ladakh, where we first encountered this amazing substance.
Why Sea Buckthorn Oil Is An Incredible Natural Remedy For Aging Skin
Sea buckthorn berries are small, round and bright orange in color. Both the fruit (berry) and the berry seeds of the sea buckthorn plant can be used for skin care. The fruit oil tends to be quite thick and is a rich, brilliant orangy-red color. It is highest in Omega 3, 6, and 9 acids, and is fantastic for rejuvenating aging skin.
The seed oil is lighter yellow-orange in color and is a bit less viscous, containing Omega 6 and 7 acids. This oil is perfect for decreasing inflammation, reducing redness and repairing problem skin.
It’s not surprising that both sea buckthorn oils have been discovered by beauty and skin care product formulators, because of their amazing ability to facilitate collagen production. You can use either sea buckthorn berry oil or sea buckthorn seed oil alone, or blend them together for maximum results.
Sea Buckthorn Oil Benefits for Aging Skin
1. Promotes skin elasticity – the combined fatty acids in sea buckthorn oil are notable for promoting skin elasticity and, as mentioned above, aiding in collagen production.
2. Reduces wrinkles and weathered skin – Omega 6 fatty acids in sea buckthorn oil are essential for reducing wrinkles, preventing sagging skin and plumping up aging skin.
3. Softens and moisturizes skin – sea buckthorn oil heals dry, aging skin, moisturizing without clogging pores
4. Decreases inflammation, healing acne and rosacea – The abundance of Omega 7 (Palmitoleic) acid in sea buckthorn oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory substance. This is responsible for decreasing skin inflammation that occurs with “problem” skin, while also preventing moisture loss and re-hydrating dry skin.
5. Reduces stretch marks – the high Vitamin C content (many times more than an orange!) of sea buckthorn oil is responsible for reducing stretch marks on skin and diminishing scarring.
6. Protects against UV rays and sunburn – Sea buckthorn is one of the best nutrient rich plant oils that protects us from UV rays and can help us to avoid sunburn when we apply it to the skin topically.
7. Treats cuts and wounds – Proanthocyanidins, often referred to as “defense molecules” found in sea buckthorn oil help in healing wounds and cuts, while preventing skin from scarring.
8. Reduces enlarged pores and removes blackheads – Sea buckthorn is non-greasy and will not clog pores; rather, it cleans bacteria and dirt from pores, while improving skin texture.
How To Use Sea Buckthorn Oil
This incredible plant oil is so wonderful for all skin care issues – it truly is miracle of nature – a perfect natural remedy for aging skin! Fortunately, sea buckthorn oil is not that expensive, plus a little goes a long way. Be mindful when applying straight sea buckthorn oil, as its brilliant orange color might stain light clothing, although it won’t stain your face.
Sea buckthorn seed and berry oils are slightly different, as mentioned above – so here are some options for how you can incorporate sea buckthorn oil into your skin care routine.You don’t have to buy an ultra processed and expensive “designer” sea buckthorn skin care product to get the benefits of sea buckthorn oil.
I rarely purchase expensive skin care products because even if they contain some incredible ingredients, they often contain preservatives or other chemicals that make the product last longer on the shelf. If they are 100% pure cosmetics, they are often very costly.
Sea buckthorn oil is not super cheap, but you’ll see the benefits. You can opt to use one or more of the excellent products suggested below:
sea buckthorn seed oil ✓ – this oil is light orange in color and can be used on a daily basis. It is light and ultra-smoothing and softening for the skin, without being heavy.
sea buckthorn berry oil ✓ – this dark orange oil can be used as a super topical treatment, or mixed with other oils (see my DIY recipe below). It may appear orangey on your skin, but will soak in over time.
sea buckthorn seed oil gel capsules ✓ – as a supplement – You can add sea buckthorn oil to your diet to get benefits from the inside out.
sea buckthorn beauty soap bar ✓ – if you want to wash your face to remove makeup and daily grime, choose a special bar like this one that contains sea buckthorn oil and other natural ingredients. Don’t use it for daily hand washing; keep it separate, just for giving your face an extra hit of sea buckthorn moisturizing when washing.
Here is one of my favorite DIY recipes that I often use as a concentrated beauty serum. I lightly pat it onto my face and neck at night and let it work its healing natural magic while I sleep. 🙂 You can mix a larger portion of serum by multiplying the amounts and keep it on hand, or you can just add the drops into your palm for a “single serving” and make it fresh right before applying it. Your choice!
DIY Night Serum
¼-½ teaspoon sea buckthorn berry oil ✓ (for all the reasons above!)
5 drops grapeseed oil ✓ (useful for tightening skin)
5 drops evening primrose oil ✓ (for evening-out skin tone, spots)
5 drops rosehip oil ✓ (high in Vitamin A, also known as retinol, to diminish skin wrinkles)
Sea buckthorn oil is an incredible natural remedy for aging skin! Regardless of what your skin issue is, adding sea buckthorn to your skin care routine will certainly help to counteract the effects of aging and to revitalize and rejuvenate dull or dry skin. You just can’t go wrong with this lovely healing oil for beautiful youthful skin!
Thank you for reading! If this post has piqued your interest and you find it useful, inspiring or otherwise magical, please pin it and follow us on Pinterest and/or share it on Facebook via the icons to the left… And we’re always happy to hear from you via the Contact page.